Croydon Sickle Cell and Thalassaemia Centre is part of Mayday Healthcare NHS Trust and home to the local Sickle Cell and Thalassaemia Support Group.The Centre has 3 specialist nurses supported by a secretary and clerical administrator.
We offer advice and support on Sickle Cell and Thalassaemia to affected individuals their families and carers, in their homes, at the centre and when admitted to hospital.
We also provide education and resource material to health professionals, the general public, statutory agencies e.g. schools, employers etc as well as genetic counselling and screening before and during pregnancy specifically for Sickle Cell and Thalassaemia Screening to the general public.
Our overall aim is to support the delivery of a seamless quality and culturally sensitive care to people with Sickle Cell disease and Thalassaemia living and using healthcare facilities in Croydon.
Our General Services are:-
- Screening for potential parents
- Antenatal counselling
- Targeted neonatal screening for children whose mothers have a haemoglobin gene variant
- Opportunistic screening of general population
- Advice, information, education and support to parents with affected children. i.e. diet, healthy lifestyles, medication etc
- Ensuring that parents are advised about additional immunisations their child needs.
- Information, advice and awareness for schools and nurseries.Group work with parents and carers.
- Children are seen either at the Centre, at home, on the ward or at the Outpatient clinic at The Willows, Mayday Hospital.
- The service extends to children living outside the Borough, in locations where there are no local services.
- The service also sees children temporarily placed in the Borough by Social Services.
Referrals to our services come from:-
- Self Referral at the Centre
- Referrals by Health Professionals by telephone or in writing.Colleagues from other Centres
- General Practitioners
- Hospital Paediatricians
- Health Visitors
- Health Visitor for Children for Special Needs
- Liaison Health Visitor
- Self Referral by patient or parent
Ms Sherill Gregory
Croydon Sickle Cell & Thalassaemia Centre
316 – 320 Whitehorse Road
Tel: 020 8251 7229
Fax: 020 8251 7248